Friday, March 30, 2012

Need to Change Developers Acct to Windows Authentication

I have my SQL 7.0 server set for Mixed security. I see now (finally)
the advantages of having windows authentication security for windows
groups.
I do most of my developing in Access Projects which require a login of
some type. I have been using my SQL login to develop with SQL and
then when I give it to the user, I set the project to use Windows
authentication. I want to be able to have Windows authentication on
my domain account but the user name for my windows account is the same
as my SQL account and it won't let me change the existing account.
Now what happens is after I develop the product I have to have the
user login and go in and change to windows authentication. It won't
let me do it with my sql account.

I fear that if I delete my sql account and create a windows
authentication account all the views, sps, etc. that I have created
will still have the reference to the sql login and therefore not work.

Do I need to have a generic sql account for developing? One thought I
had was to create a new domain account so I can create that windows
login and at least get my most recent projects working like I want to?

Hope this makes sense to someone.
Thanks in advance for your time.
Sherry"sherkozmo" <skosmicki@.sfmc-gi.org> wrote in message
news:3ff08a65.0409280648.2d0c3d4f@.posting.google.c om...
>I have my SQL 7.0 server set for Mixed security. I see now (finally)
> the advantages of having windows authentication security for windows
> groups.
> I do most of my developing in Access Projects which require a login of
> some type. I have been using my SQL login to develop with SQL and
> then when I give it to the user, I set the project to use Windows
> authentication. I want to be able to have Windows authentication on
> my domain account but the user name for my windows account is the same
> as my SQL account and it won't let me change the existing account.
> Now what happens is after I develop the product I have to have the
> user login and go in and change to windows authentication. It won't
> let me do it with my sql account.

You might find this post from yesterday useful - it gives a short overview
of moving from SQL to Windows authentication:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...s.prodi gy.com

One solution to your issue (if I understood correctly) is to connect as sa,
drop the SQL login, grant login to your Windows account, then logout and
connect with Windows authentication.

> I fear that if I delete my sql account and create a windows
> authentication account all the views, sps, etc. that I have created
> will still have the reference to the sql login and therefore not work.

If the objects are owned by dbo, then there should be no problem. If the
objects are owned by a SQL login, then you can always change the owner with
sp_changeobjectowner - the bext practice would be to use dbo for production
objects anyway.

> Do I need to have a generic sql account for developing? One thought I
> had was to create a new domain account so I can create that windows
> login and at least get my most recent projects working like I want to?

It is almost always best to avoid generic accounts - there's no way to know
who is really using it, so auditing and permissions are difficult to
implement properly. The best solution is probably roles eg. your Windows
account is in the db_owner role, but user accounts are in a role with more
limited permissions.

> Hope this makes sense to someone.
> Thanks in advance for your time.
> Sherry

You're welcome.

Simon

No comments:

Post a Comment