Monday, March 26, 2012

Need suggestions on text file parsing into database

I have a website, where people upload tab delimited text files of their product inventories, which the site parses and inserts into a database table. Here's the catch: Instead of insisting that each user use a standardized format, each user can upload the file in whatever column order they want, they just have to let the site know through a GUI which column is in which order. And, they may upload columns that if not mapped, will be ignored. Right now, I am doing all of this in code and it runs slow, I was thinking of offloading this to either a stored procedure, ssis, or bulk upload. But, with the varying format of the uploaded text file, I am not sure how I could do that. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi keggdirdle,

As far as I can see, we cannot make the database recognize tab delimited text files automatically.

Whatever technology you use (stored procedure, ssis, or bulk upload), they all depends on fixed format for data.

In this case, I don't think it is possible without your own code.

No comments:

Post a Comment