Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Need to back up & restore a SQL server database when only SQL 2000 and 2005 are available.

I am maintaining a .net 1.0 asp.net web application that accesses a SQL server 2000 database. I need to backup the database and then restore it on a laptop. Currently it resides on a server. The problem is that on the server they are using sql server 2005. If I backup using 2005 and then try and restore this database using SQL server 2000 or 2005 on the laptop, I get an error message. "Too many backup devices specified for backup or restore; only 64 are allowed. RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

What can I do to restore the database? Must it be backed up with SQL server 2000 and then restored with SQL Server 2005?

Please help!

you cannot back up a db from 2005 and restore it on 2000 server. Its possible the other way though.

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment