Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Need to back up a database and then restore it on another server

I need to back up a production database on one server and then copy it to a test server wherel it will be restored. The problem is that I don't know where to move the file to on the production server before I restore it. Is there a special folder I need to copy the file to? I see a folder named ProgramFiles\Microsoft SQL Server but beyond that I have no idea where to copy the file so that it can be restored?

Can someone help me out please?

After backing up your database to file on your production server, you should move the .bak file to your test server for restore. It does not matter where you put it on the test server as you will be able to browse for it when you actually perform the restore.

No comments:

Post a Comment