Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Need to access SQL Server 2000 tables

Hello,

I am trying to write a java program that will connect to a SQL Server DB, run some queries, pull some data and try to find some trends in the data.

The problem is that I have a copy of the Database, but I don't have SQL Server. I have been given a backup copy of the database though (SQL Server 2000). I know that in addition to the JDBC driver for SQL Server 2000 I will need something else to be able to access the DB. They have stopped selling SQL Server 2000, also the software tends to be a little expensive.

Is there anything else that I can use that will allow me the functionality of being able to run queries and pull data from the DB using JDBC? Will installing MSDE allow me to do that? Or is there someother software that will allow me to do that? Or do I have no other option except installing SQL Server 2000?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

ThanksHi there,

Will you only be accessing the database for the purposes of reporting (i.e. you won't be changing data and then merging these changes into a master database from which the backup was taken)?

What I would recommend is that you don't use MSDE but you use SQL Server 2005 Express Edition. You can download it here:

Download SQL Server 2005 Express

NB. The download could be quite hefty as you might need to download the .NET Framework 2.0, SQL Server 2005 Express Edition database engine and the Management Studio.

You are able to restore SQL Server 2000 database backups to SQL Server 2005 so what you would do is:

1) Install SQL Server 2005 Express & Management Studio Express (see previous link)

2) Use Management Studio Express to restore the SQL Server 2000 backup (you can do this by creating a new database and then restoring your backup over the top)

3) Download and install the JDBC driver for SQL Server 2005 here:
Download JDBC Driver

4) Write your Java program as required

Well, OK, you don't have to use the JDBC driver as you could also use the JDBC-ODBC bridge which already comes with Java but I'd recommend you use the JDBC driver.

Hope that helps a bit, but sorry if it doesn't

|||Thanks a lot NateV,

I will be using the DB for reporting purposes. I won't be chaning any data on the backend ( no inserts or updates, just selects). I am going to try using SQL Server Express 05 and let you know if it worked.

Thanks Again

No comments:

Post a Comment